Thursday, January 8, 2009

Engine Trouble!!

AACK!! Before Christmas, my car started making an awful knocking noise. We figured it was the timing chain and parked it over break. Yesterday I had the "brilliant" idea to try and "fix" my car. The oil needed to be changed, so I took it to the oil change place and let them listen to the noise. I had two mechanics listen and they both said, no, not timing chain, but probably the lifters, which are of course in the engine. They said it would be okay to drive, so I took my car home. I took it to my brother's house a little later and let him and a friend over the phone listen in. They both said lifters, so I again took it home and waited a little while to go out again. I called several mechanics to get quotes on replacing the lifters and by the third one, he says, your car is too new for lifters. You have cam shafts and gears, but NOT lifters. So, he said he would listen to the noise, so I had the brilliant idea to take my car over to him and let him listen. WRONG IDEA!!!!! I got on the Loop and my car went kaboom!! Literally. I could not drive over 40 miles per hour, so I exited to the access road. UGH!! By then, everyone could hear my car had issues and sounded like it was going to blow up at any minute. When i stopped for that first light, 40 was no more. My car would only go 20-25 miles per hour. I took it slowly to my mother-in-laws house to rest peacefully in their back yard again and I was terrified it would plain stop before I got there. I re-borrowed my father-in-laws truck for the rest of the week and called my brother back to let him know what had happened to my car. His first question was, "Did you try to re-start it?" UHM, NOPE!! I was late for church at this point and I parked it and left. UGH!! So, in the long and short of it all, my engine is really screwed up. We must wait until income tax to even get it looked at. We are going to the diagnostic test and have them tell me what all is wrong. If it is more than the car is worth, then we will sell the car as is. If it is not too bad, then we will fix it. No telling what's wrong for a few more months at least though. UGH!! So, as a result, on Sunday I get to learn to drive my husband's car on Sunday afternoon. It is a standard. I have driven it on the highway quite a bit, but I am not very good at driving in town because I always stall out at the street lights and stop signs. So, Sunday we practice. I hope I can get it figured out. LOL!! (The reasoning for my learning is my father-in-law sold the truck I have been driving for a month. He listed it on Craigslist on the third and has a buyer for it this weekend. - This in itself is another story and is enough to make me mad. He knew full well I was driving it, but whatever.) Anyhow, so that's the long and short story of my car. Pray for me Sunday as I figure out my husband's car. I need it. Thanks all and God Bless! Hope your week is going well. Two days left!!

2 comments:

Mom22girls said...

Sorry about your car. We've had more than our share of car trouble too (and with more than one vehicle too). Last year we were down to one vehicle & it was HARD. I had to take the kids to school, hubby to first job, pick up the kids from school, pick hubby up from first job & then he dropped us off at home while he went to 2nd job. Unless one of the girls had dance, soccer, Dr. appts, etc. Then I had to drive him way across town to his 2nd job & hope that FIL could pick him up from work since the girls are in bed by the time he gets off work. We finally got the 2nd car up & running after taxes last year. I understand the waiting part. We are waiting for our tax rebate this year to get our brakes looked at since the brake light is on & now they are starting to make some noise. Yuck! Too bad your FIL sold his truck! That would make me more than irritated!!

We're Blessed said...

Oh, I am so sorry!!! My brother's engine blew up on their car a few days ago! What is the deal? :P

As far as a standard transmission goes (that's what we have), go someplace where there is NO ONE around, so you will not have to worry about anyone else...then when you get in the driver's seat, take a deep breath and tell yourself, "I can do this!"...then, making sure you are on level ground so that you don't roll backwards or forwards, take your foot off of the brake and then just slowly start easing up off of the clutch until you feel it "grab"...that is the point where you would normally start pushing the gas pedal. If you kill it, it's ok...don't let yourself get upset over it! Do that several times before you ever touch the gas, that way you can get a feel for where the "transition spot" is for the accelerator to be pushed, and the clutch to be let off of...if that makes sense. Most cars have a certain spot in the clutch where it engages, and you need to figure that out and remember where it is. If you do that, then everything else should be a little smoother. I love driving a stick shift and have done so for many years, so if you need any help...or just support, let me know!!! :D Hang in there!!! HUGS!!!