Baby it's cold outside!!! I am ready for normalcy. Anna and I have been in the house for two full days. Tomorrow will be three. My initial plan right now is to drive up to Post tomorrow afternoon and spend the night in a hotel. This is of course all dependent on the roads. We are expecting 2-3 inches of snow tonight and they are advising all of us to stay off the roads. Praying that we don't have to miss another day. Anna and I missed on Friday because of the weather. We got up at 5am with the intention of going in. We were in the car by 6am and trying to be on the road by 6:20am, but we just didn't get there. The roads in Lubbock were okay, but when we got to the highway we travel to get to school, I could not keep my windows clear of ice. The sleet was immediately sticking to the windows, despite my defrost being on high and my wipers going full blast. We had pulled over 3 times before we hadn't even gotten to the prison, which is about 10 minutes out, and I just could not keep them clear. To top it off, the highway was icy and it was dark. Black ice and dark do not mix, so I decided it was in our best interest to turn around and go back home. I spent the better part of an hour after we got back trying to find a sub for my class to no avail. There was not one that was able to go in at all. My aide was already out because her daughter was sick and she also could not get a sub. My class ended up getting split between the other three teachers. I felt awful and cried for over 2 hours because I felt so bad. Using my last day of sick leave because of weather was not what I had planned. I was very upset about that, but then the weather got worse and I was very glad that I was at home and didn't have to drive in the worsening conditions on the road. We have stayed home since then. J got sent home at around 1:30 to 2:00pm. I was glad to have everyone safe and sound at home. I am also very glad that we have a working heater.
Tonight, the sleet is back and we are expecting more precipitation. I do not know what tomorrow will bring, but I will have my eyes watching the news and checking things fully before I drive that way. I'm hoping it'll clear up a bit, but not counting on it. We can't afford for me to be docked a full days pay for missing, so here's hoping....
My Colectomy - Day Two
1 week ago