Monday, March 10, 2008

Cleaning Out!!

I am on a cleaning out and clearing out rampage. It is going to take me weeks to get it all done, what with school and working full-time, but I am on a nice starting roll. I am determined to get our extra "stuff" down to one closet. You know the stuff I am talking about...the baby books, the baby keepsakes, the things you had growing up, like medals, papers, etc. We have two and a half over flowing closets of this "stuff." I want it down to one and I want to be able to use our coat closet for once as an actual coat closet. I want to put the shoes in there and the coats and get them off the couch and from under the beds and dressers. There is too much of this "stuff." I have sold things online that I never imagined would sell. I have gone through like six boxes and have them down to two, but these will probably still be pared down more. I have trashed, shredded, sold, gave away, and reorganized, and I still have a long ways to go. I am thinking I can have it all done by May 1st. Thats my goal. That is still a long way off, but I want my house to look like a house, not a dump heap, which it looks like now, because the closet contents ended up on the living room floor. LOL!! We just have too much junk and it is time to let some of it go and quick.

On a side note, we are trying to determine what to do with school. We will finish with the Kindergarten curriculum before the end of the traditional school year. Do we leave it at that, or do we keep adding on to keep us busy. I would just buy the first grade material now, but I am waiting till July 17th when Mardel does their big education sale. I will get the 20% off, plus my discount of 15% off. I would be crazy not to wait for that, especially since her first grade Language Arts will be $92. Add to that, Math, Science, and Social Studies, and it gets VERY expensive. Anyhow, what would you do? Would you call it a year, or keep the kids busy till the traditional school year is up? Let me know.

1 comment:

Mom22girls said...

That's a hard decision. I would keep my girls busy until the end of the traditional school year but to a lesser extent than a full home-school day. But that's just me.

I can understand why you'd want to wait for the 1st grade stuff to go on sale. I would also wait for the sale before buying!

Our girls attend public schools but for the summers we spend at least an hour a day with each girl working on reading & math. We make lots of visits to the library over the summer. (Our 9 year old LOVES to read & won't put down a chapter book until she's finished it so we go through a lot of books!) Plus we pick up some of the "fun" workbooks that they sell at the dollar store.

We also take our girls to our local children's museum quite a bit. They hold many educational classes for the kids. The girls have learned about static electricity, outer space, reptiles, farm animals, art, bugs, butterflies, bubbles, volcanos & much, much more from there. They have so many hands on exhibits & events for the kids. I don't know if you have access to a children's museum. If you do, it's a great learning experience.