Friday, November 21, 2008

Reading, Writing & Math

Well, Anna is REALLY reading well. She was in the dining room yesterday and I could hear her sounding out "Reese's Peanut Btter Cups." It was really cute to listen to. She absolutely loves to read and recently discovered that she can read alot of the books on her shelf and not just her "reading" book. She is so pleased with herself when she figures it out.

Writing is getting better. She is learning how to sound out words and write down the sounds she hears and is even getting some of the vowel sounds in there. It is very cute to watch her write too. She wrote about Thanksgiving the other day and here is what she wrote:

My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving..."becus i lic Grames trce." Translated to because I like Grammy's turkey. She picked Thanksgiving because it is on our school calendar and she could copy it. The rest was all her. She is very clever.

Math, well that's a different story. she is getting some of it, but slowly. She can count and she is good with shapes and number of sides, angles, etc. She can do most, but has trouble with least/fewest. she can subtract and even do some of that in her head, she can add with 0, but we struggle with 1 and MUST draw pictures with anything past 1. She is having a hard time with ordinal numbers as well. That is the issue. All the homeschool curriculum's we have come across really are going WAY to fast in math. I bought a second program a few weeks ago thinking it was slower and better suited to her needs, but we hit the brick wall again. I am having to make my own worksheets until we pass this gray area. I am very glad I know how. Is there a program for math that really captures them that I can afford to get? I am not sure. For right now, I will continue to make worksheets and practice a little bit of our trouble areas everyday without pushing it and hopefully after Christmas it will hit and we can keep going. This is really our only struggle.

I really love homeschooling and I am glad we chose to do so. She has learned so much and we can work on struggling areas a little bit at a time and then move on. We can also advance in areas she is doing well, so it won't hold her back. She loves being able to do school and then we can go experience life in the real world. She is so smart and receptive to a lot of things. I don't think I will have it any other way for a while. God has richly blesses us in this area.

1 comment:

We're Blessed said...

She will eventually get the math. That is the beauty of homeschooling...you don't have to conform to anyone else's ideals on where she "should" or "should not" be. Just take it slow and easy and it will click when the time is right! Sounds like everything is going great!!!