Saturday, August 23, 2008

School Supplies

Alright, I wasn't going to mention it, but school supply lists at some of our area schools have gotten ridiculous!!!!! I have been trying for weeks to help these parents get some of what they need and I tell you what, it seems as if they are providing supplies for the whole class and not just themselves. On one list, they needed 24 glue sticks. 24! Really, is one child going to do that much gluing in one year? That is way too many to be completely honest. Another list wanted them to have 72 pencils. Yes, 72. Apparently they need a new pencil once every 2-3 days. There is no way they need 72 pencils for one child. Absolutely none. To top it off, they wanted 72 Ticonderoga pencils. Talk about expensive. Another list wanted kids to have 6 boxes of the large Crayola brand non-washable crayons. We only carry washable, but they are $3 a box. Times that by 6 boxes, and you are talking about $18 in just crayons. This is just ridiculous. It is also showing me another reason to be glad we home school! I was never allowed to ask for more than $10 in supplies, so here was my general list:

1 Spiral Notebook (70 pages) 0.30
12 # 2 Pencils 1.00
2 Erasers 1.00
1 small school box 0.50
1 bottle of glue (8oz.)-although many brought two 4 oz and this was quite fine 0.50
1 pair of Scissors 1.00
1 box of 24 Crayons 0.50
2 boxes of Kleenex 2.00
1 box of Resealable Bags-quart or gallon size 1.00
1 package of Brown Paper Lunch Sacks (50 count) 1.00
1 package of Colored Construction Paper (9X12) 1.00
1 package of Colored Construction Paper (18X24) 1.00
2 pocket folders with brads (1 red, 1 blue) 0.50

Not brand specific and not an arm and a leg. (It comes to about $11 per child.) Most of my list was on sale. (Here goes another Wal-mart plug, but I can't help it. They run good specials.) Don't get me wrong, some lists are still like this, but a lot of those poor parents are spending $40-$50 on school supplies for one child. And the brand specific thing gets me. Why don't the teacher's ask for money and go buy the kids supplies themselves. Good grief. I always bought a ton of school supplies. Spent about $45 or so and had them in my room as "extras" for when a student could not get any, so all my kids had their own pencil box and crayons. It was not that expensive and I didn't want anyone singled out. Anyhow, as you can see I am annoyed with these lists and such. It is way too much money. There are really only certain supplies that one child needs anyhow. The rest is just fluff. LOL! Ok, rant over. This is yet another reason to be glad I Home School!! YEAH!! I bought only new crayons and glue this year. I spent $2 at that above named store. :-) Oh and another $3 on new markers when they went on sale. Ok, well that doesn't count my curriculum, but on just supplies, that was it. Anyhow, I better go. Take care and God Bless!

No comments: