Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ok, Here Goes

Alright, I promised an update, so here it is. Anna is fine first of all, no reason to worry. She only ran fever for less than 12 hours, so it may have been allergy related as we had forgotten to give her allergy medicine for 3 days. Big mistake. Allergies of course don't cause the fever, but without her medicine, she was getting all gunky inside her nose and stuff and it may have been starting a sinus infection. In any case, she is fine and that was all that she did. Thank goodness.

Now, here is for the doozy update...my mom. I am sure, if you have been reading my blog for any length of time, you know that my mom has health issues and we are fighting Social Security Disability to get her the help that she needs. Well, on Tuesday of last week I ended up taking her to the ER. Her follow up with the doctor was yesterday, I will come back to that in a minute though. On Sunday I went to check on her and get her mail, and she had a notice on her door to vacate the apartment. (You get those when you can't pay the rent and can't work to pay the rent and no one has any more help to pay the rent. Yes, there is a lot of sarcasm in that, but its true.) Anyhow, so I spent all Monday and the rest of Sunday trying to find something we could do to keep her apartment, or move her somewhere. On Monday, I did find out that in order to have her fully evicted, they need a court order and then she will still have 5 days to move out. Anyways, we are still working on that. Now, back to the doctor appointment yesterday...the doctor she saw yesterday was the first, yes, the very first doctor down here in the 8 months she has been seeing doctors to do a fully medical and a full family history. Yes, the first. That should have been the first thing that everyone of them did, but no, they never did it. He then did a full evaluation of my mother. Yes, she still has MS, but the other things she has been having trouble with are all related to Congestive Heart Failure. Why didn't any of the others see the signs. They all kept dismissing her and saying it was all in her head. I am sorry, but shortness of breath is not in your head, low pulse is not in your head, bad heart is not in your head. UGH!! Sorry, can you see I was a bit aggravated with the other 10 or so doctors we had seen? In any case, he immediately started her on a bunch of tests yesterday. We go for more tests next Friday and then we go for a follow up on September 12. Finally, she may get some GOOD help medically. Now I can rest with that and go back to the search for somewhere to live. Time is running short on that end, but I know that something will happen. Anyhow, for those who pray, please pray for this whole situation. She needs a place to live ASAP and I am not able to afford what lots of people want for rent. I am hoping for a situation where we can get her a room to rent in someones house. I am sure some one has a room, somewhere and needs a little extra money? Anyhow, I better go for now, just pray for the housing situation. Thanks all and God bless.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Okay this may be a dumb question but isn't she old enough for medicaid? Can't she move into a home that is covered on medicaid? I am sure she doesn't want to be in a home but if her health is failing and she needs a place- that is a pretty good answer- I am praying for other answers but that is what I think of first- :) hang in there!

Mom22girls said...

So sorry to hear about your Mom. I really wish I had an answer for the housing situation. I will pray for her & for you as well.

As for the doctors: it really irritates me when Dr.s overlook things that they say are "all in their head". It happens far too often. We have problems with my Grandma who is 82. On our last trip to the ER with her (which we made from the nursing home) the Dr. said "she's fine it's just a bladder infection. She has no pneumonia, the chest Xray was fine. The CAT scan showed no more strokes or further progression of her existing one." She was leaning to one side, couldn't hardly talk or even move her left arm. A "bladder infection" does NOT explain that!! Well the next day I was at the nursing home when the Dr. came in. He said he can't believe what they said & he went to look up her tests. He came back & said "did they tell you she could possibly have pneumonia?" After testing it turns out that Grandma has 2 blood clots in her lungs. The ER doc blew her off because she came from a nursing home. She had 6 family members in the ER with her. Don't you think that would have made a difference?

JUST A MOM said...

prayers bu this could be great news,,, hnag in there.