Sunday, February 3, 2008

Moving Stinks!

LOL! As you can gather from the title, I am so sick of moving!! We were supposed to move on Wednesday, but we had several technical issues. The water company didn't turn the water on until 4:30pm Wednesday night was the first issue. Trying to move into a house that needed cleaning with NO running water just doesn't work. The second issue was the gas company. We had gas scheduled to come on early Wednesday. He came and I was excited that he actually called first, like I had asked. Well, it was a short lived excitement. There was a leak in the gas line somewhere between our house and the main line, which meant no gas could be turned on until it was fixed. Seeing as it was going into the 20s that night, with windchills in the single digits, there was no way we could move our furniture in and get settled, so we quit for the night and went home (to the old apartment.) My mom kept Anna which distracted her from the thought that we couldn't spend the night in the house that she found. (She was disappointed about this fact.) Thanks mom! We needed that time and so did she.

On Thursday, we woke up to a nice layer of ice on the roadways and freezing cold temperatures. How on earth are you supposed to move across town with a sheet of ice on the ground? Well, we chose to not drive my brother-in-laws truck until it thawed out and instead loaded up my car with a VERY full load and prayed that the streets thawed by 10am. It was a good thought and we got that load moved and by 10am, give or take, the roads were completely cleared, although it was still cold. We actually had gas running by about 11:45am, after the needed repairs. Our pastor and his wife then rented us a U-Haul truck so we could move the big stuff in one trip. I am eternally grateful to them for the thought and for their help. We would not have made this move without them. We never did use my brother-in-laws truck. He just got to enjoy a day being dropped off at the door and picked up at the door. Anyhow, Thursday we got the majority of the big stuff in and we were able to spend our first night at the new place. (Although it was a LARGE disaster and I am sure it was a violation of a bunch of safety codes as we had no clear path to the door or any window for that matter.)

Friday, we moved over the aquarium and the last of the big stuff from the apartment. We somehow managed to forget to bring the silverware from the drawer in the kitchen. How on earth do you forget something so vital? I mean seriously. We even managed to unload the dishwasher of dirty dishes and bring them over and we still hadn't brought the silverware. UGH! (I got them Saturday, but they are still in the trunk of my car.) I did unpack about 30 or so boxes in the morning before I went to the old place. Did I mention that my husband threw a bucket of water on me outside in the process of cleaning out the aquarium? Did I also mention that it is VERY, very cold outside when you are wet and it is like 38 degress outside?! Lesson learned. Next time I will throw the water on the aquarium while he holds it. LOL! I do forgive you though honey.

Anyhow, did I mention yet that we still have a big mess?! OH! And did I mention that trying to move while you are still working every day and trying to keep everybody happy is hard work?! I am so exhausted and we STILL have a large disasterous mess. AND I DO NOT HAVE MY WASHER AND DRYER YET!!!! (insert large pout here) This was half the reason for the move and we still have not got it unpacked from storage and moved over here! I don't know how we managed that, it was supposed to be the FIRST thing we moved here. In any case, maybe I will get it moved today? Do you think?! Oh, I hope so. I don't want to take my laundry somewhere else. We have the connections and we have the equipment, but we have to get it here!

Ok, gripe, pout and whine, is over. As you can tell, I still have a lot to do. I am hoping to do school with Anna tomorrow as we took off all last week to finish packing and move. Do you think I can get all our school stuff unpacked today? Well, that is my plan. Here is the check list for today:

1. Go to church
2. Take my mom shopping
3. Move the washer & dryer and hook them up
4. Wash dishes and put them away
5. Wash laundry (can only be done if we complete # 3)
6. Unpack homeschool stuff and get organized
7. Write lesson plans for school
8. Put the thought of EVER moving again out of my head

Don't you love that last one?! LOL! Ok, ok. That is enough for today. I will try to dig out some new pictures for this week. Take care all.

No comments: