Sunday, June 7, 2009

Dr. Update

Well, here is the much awaited updated from my Friday Doctor's appointment. It is not Rheumatoid Arthritis. In fact, all my labs came back pretty much normal and clear. I had high counts in white and red cells, but not overly so. I DO have arthritis in my hands. Go figure. They usually bother me the most. It was visible on the x-ray. That was pretty much the good news. Since I do not have that, I asked if it wasn't that, then why is it I hurt so much and feel so darn tired all the time. He said its Fibromyalgia. The weird thing is I guess I annoyed him. Being the hormonal thing I am right now, I was upset at that thought and so he left. I had to ask the nurse for info on that diagnosis. Basically it will be with me for the rest of my life. The good thing is it doesn't get any worse, or so they say. The bad thing is that it has already been hard to deal with. I know next to nothing on Fibromyalgia, so here is a description from a website:


What Is Fibromyalgia?

There are some days when it almost "hurts too bad to move," or when you wake up from a full night's sleep "too tired to think straight."

For those who suffer from Fibromyalgia Syndrome, days like these happen on a regular basis. This throbbing, "aching all over" feeling often seems worse in the morning. And that makes it even more difficult to bear when you've just spent a seemingly endless night tossing and turning because restful sleep hasn't been seen in your bedroom for a long time. Fibromyalgia is also usually cyclical, with different symptoms from day to day, and changes in energy levels and pain. Sometimes everything may get worse for a while, and then there will be days where the patient feels nearly normal and symptom free. As the syndrome progresses, cycles of pain and fatigue may become longer and more severe.

Fibromyalgia ( FM ) is a chronic musculoskeletal condition causing widespread pain, fatigue and muscle stiffness throughout the body. One of the most difficult things about the disorder is that the symptoms mimic at least 46 other conditions. It is characterized by physical over sensitivity and pain responses to a wide range of triggers, sometimes seemingly without cause. With its wide variety of symptoms and its undeserved reputation as a "catch-all" diagnosis, fibromyalgia is a frustrating condition to manage.

One of the reasons is because those with fibromyalgia don't appear sick, even though they know something is very wrong. There's no swelling, no spots, no fever, nothing obvious, but.. They are in chronic pain. They don't sleep. They're tired. And quite often they are a little over weight because it simply hurts too much to move, or they find that exercise makes them tired. When they do finally seek medical advice, the typical blood tests come back normal. Because there is no blood test to detect FM, doctors often can't diagnose the problem until all similar disorders that CAN be detected by blood tests are first ruled out.

It can take up over 4 years for a diagnosis of fibromyalgia to be made, often while the patient gets worse and worse. Friends, family members, and even doctors may tell them that it's "all in your head," or that they just don't want to feel good. They may be accused of making it up, even though this condition has been documented in largely ignored medical literature for well over a century. The years that often pass until a proper diagnosis are often spent bouncing from doctor to doctor, trying to find someone familiar with fibromyalgia symptoms who won't ignore them.


Fibromyalgia affects as much as 4 percent of the U.S. adult population, making it the second most common rheumatological illness after osteoarthritis. It affects women more often than men by as much as a 10 to 1 ratio. The average age of a fibromyalgia sufferer is between 30 and 55.

It is a syndrome, not a disease, because it does not cause degeneration of body organs or tissues, nor does it deform. But the stress of living with a chronic, painful condition can be devastating ... to the patient, the family, work or social life.

Fibromyalgia Symptoms:

The most common signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia are: widespread muscle pain, morning stiffness, non restorative sleep and daytime fatigue. Cold, damp weather and and physical activity can severely aggravate conditions.

Other common symptoms often found in fibromyalgia patients include irritable bowel syndrome, myalgia ( muscle pain ), arthralgia ( joint pain ), generalized muscle weakness, stiffness, numbness, swelling, tingling, lightheadedness when standing, migraine and tension headaches.


Cognitive problems such as not being able to "think straight" or remember things are also frequently linked to FM. These 'forgetful' episodes of short term memory or concentration impairment are referred to as 'fibrofog.' It's a frustrating, often scary, situation when you find yourself unable to remember things you've known 'forever,' like your own phone number or even your children's names.

And it's certainly not hard to see why depression and anxiety are often common problems for those with fibromyalgia. Chronic pain and loss of sleep can cause even the most cheerful person to experience these feelings. And because it's often hard to diagnose, the frustration and feelings of isolation that follow remarks like 'this is all in your head' or 'would you like the name of a psychiatrist' often intensifies feelings of depression and anxiety. In fact, neurotransmitter deficiencies and imbalances are a common part of fibromyalgia. These may have something to do with the prevalence of mood disorders, but also sleep and digestive problems.

*
*
*
So, there you have it. Other good news is that it didn't take 4 years to diagnose. And the swelling in my hands is from the arthritis. I will be starting on a medication for this very soon that is supposed to help. I will let you all know how it makes me feel. I am sorry I can't give you any other info on this condition. All I know about it is what I have read (not much)and what medication he wants to put me on. Any websites and hints will be of much help to me. I start on the medication soon and follow up on September 11. Thanks again for all the prayers. I really appreciate them. God Bless!!

3 comments:

We're Blessed said...

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis! I'm thankful that you have one and know what is going on though. My mom has FM and she has found that eliminating all flour and sugar from her diet have helped her quite a bit with the pain. When she does eat some of the two, she has been in a great deal of pain for up to several days...a huge flair-up!

I know that Dr. Danforth has been doing a lot of research on FM. I don't know what all he is doing with treatment or how much it is, but it might be worth just checking into!

Julie said...

Yuck- I think I would rather have RA. My sil has fibromyalgia and the fatique that goes with it is really bad. She has found that exercise helps- forcing herself to exercise- helps with both the pain and the fatigue. Hope you get some relief! Hang in there- praying for you!

Julie said...

Yuck- I think I would rather have RA. My sil has fibromyalgia and the fatique that goes with it is really bad. She has found that exercise helps- forcing herself to exercise- helps with both the pain and the fatigue. Hope you get some relief! Hang in there- praying for you!