Thursday, October 23, 2008

Cooking Time

Well, instead of regular school yesterday, I chose to cook with my daughter. We had run errands all morning, voted, gotten a few things at the store, and taken my mom somewhere, so I wasn't really in the mood for school when I got back home. We did spelling, and then we cooked, sort of. I taught my daughter how to make a very sweet old time favorite of ours growing up...No Bake Chocolate Cookies. YUM!! We got a lot of math in there, counting cups and how many do we still need. We also got some reading, because of course you need to read the recipe. There then of course was some home-making, you must clean up your mess, and some waiting. OK! A LOT of waiting. The cookies set in the fridge. Our fridge is small and we had made a double batch. LOL. Must wait. Anyhow, the end result was a scrumptious plate of our favorite cookies. YUMMY!! We have to have more school days like this. It was fun.



Here are a few pictures of the fun we had.






The cookies aren't much to look at, but boy are they delicious!! YUM!! Lots of sugar and chocolate. No wonder I haven't had them since I lived at home. LOL!! The last time I had these was years ago. Like over 10 years ago. I still lived at home. They are still good though. It may be a while before we make them again, but we will enjoy them while we got them. Anyhow, I hope you enjoyed our pictures. We had a great time and I still need to finish cleaning the kitchen. LOL!! Have a good day and enjoy.

The recipe, for those who just got to know it:

No Bake Chocolate Cookies

Boil:

  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup shortening

Place in a bowl:

  • 2 cups oatmeal
  • 1 cup sweetened coconut
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla (double is 1 tbsp.)
  • 6 tablespoons cocoa (double 3/4 cup)

Pour boiled mixture over the bowl mixture and mix thoroughly. Let set for 2 minutes. Place by teaspoon fulls on wax paper. Place in fridge. Cool and enjoy.

(On a side note, we used a tablespoon to drop ours, which really makes them too big. Definitely use a teaspoon. They are super sweet, so enjoy!!)

1 comment:

We're Blessed said...

Yummy!!! How fun!!! I love learning moments like these...I think they are the best ones!!!